Programs in Data Sciences
You are heartily welcomed and encouraged to contribute to this page.
Scope of Data Science
A pretty good definition from Wikipedia:
- Data science incorporates varying elements and builds on techniques and theories from many fields, including math, statistics, data engineering, pattern recognition and learning, advanced computing, visualization, uncertainty modeling, data warehousing, and high performance computing with the goal of extracting meaning from data and creating data products. Data science is a novel term that is often used interchangeably with competitive intelligence or business analytics, although it is becoming more common. Data science seeks to use all available and relevant data to effectively tell a story that can be easily understood by non-practitioners.
An early notable use of the term 'Data Science' is attributed to C.F. Jeff Wu in his inaugural address at the University of Michigan in 1998.
Summary of Programs
In progress / contributions always welcome!
|York University|| Schulich School of Business|
|MSc in Business Analytics|
|UC Berkeley||Extension||Certificate in Business Analytics|
|UC Berkeley||Information Science||Master's Program in Data Science|
|Northwestern||School of Continuing Studies||Master of Science in Predictive Analytics||fully online, part-time|
List of programs
This is a start at compiling a list of programs in data sciences with information on the areas they stress.
- MSc in Business Analytics, York University, Schulich School of Business
- Certificate Program in Business Analysis, UC Berkeley Extension
- Techweb: Big Data Analytics Master's Degrees: 20 Top Programs, Jan 8, 2013
- Elliot Kass, Aug. 9, 2013, U.C. Berkeley to Offer Online Master’s Program in Data Analytics
- "Among the areas to be covered are the historical use of data to solve business problems, data presentation and visualization, avoiding biases and how to structure a research program."
- U.C. Berkeley Master's Program in Data Science
This is a two year on-line Master's program focussing on asking good research questions, effective communication of findings from large data and in-depth study of the ethics and legal dimensions of statistical analysis, data and privacy.
This is also a fully online program. Includes in-depth training in SAS, R, Web Analytics and Risk Analysis. Emphasis on using real world data with partnerships in the business community as part of the program.
A 15 month program that combines data science, information technology and business analytics. The program emphasizes real world data while combining mathematical and statistical study with instruction in advanced computational and data analysis. All three areas of data analysis are studied: predictive (forecasting), descriptive (business intelligence and data mining), and prescriptive (optimization and simulation).
Includes a specific degree program and also a university-wide initiative in data science in order to establish the country’s leading data science training and research facilities. Emphasis on mathematics, statistics and computer science combined with subject matter expertise on a wide range of social science and health science topics.
Program includes courses in computer programming, computer science, big data management, statistics and professional communication. Includes a capstone course that involves a large real world problem.
Includes an upcoming Masters in Data Science that will include a hands on capstone project, probability, statistics, machine learning and ethics. Currently offers a graduate Certificate of Professional Achievement in Data Science.
An add-on to a graduate degree, this offers an emphasis on risk management, predictive analytics and big data
Stated purpose is "To create knowledge and expertise in the field of Big Data Analytics by facilitating fundamental, interdisciplinary and collaborative research, advanced applications, advanced training and partnerships with industry."
Links and Resources
General Data Science Resources
- Here's a comprehensive list of quality Data Science resources, courses, books and more
- Journal of Data Science
- Cleveland, W. S. (2001). Data science: an action plan for expanding the technical areas of the field of statistics. International Statistical Review / Revue Internationale de Statistique, 21-26
- IBM: What is a data scientist?